Friday, August 25, 2006

Can't...Look...Away

I was driving to work the other day listening to NPR and a spot came on that I found amusing and at the same time very weird. I will issue a warning right now, I quote "More than a million people around the globe have been sucked in by an anime clip on the internet." This song does get stuck in your head. There. You can't say I didn't warn you. Continue at your own risk. I must admit my intrest was piqued. So, once I got home I looked it up and found the actual clip they were talking about. Oh my gosh. It really is true! It sucks you in. Maybe it was my linguering post-pregnancy brain fog. Maybe it was just that it was after 10:00pm, but I just couldn't look away. In a sick way it's almost relaxing. Apparently people are actually taping themselves going into a trance watching the thing. I also find it interesting that it is most popular in Russia. I'm not sure what that means, but I love the closing line of the article.

"This is basically a joke for someone who spends all of their time staring at a computer, made by people who spend all of their time staring at a computer. It's possible to read deeper meanings into it, but it sort of defeats the purpose because in the end it's just this hypnotic clip of animation."

I'm not sure which is sadder, people video taping themselves staring at a anime girl spinning a leek and singing, or people wasting brain cells trying to figure out deeper meanings to some random video clip. Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment